1. Examine the cups. These are your water tanks. Then consider your building materials. Think about how you could move water from the larger tank to the smaller one. How will you elevate the larger tank? What materials will you use to build your pipeline? How will you prevent leaks?
2. Plan your design by drawing it on a piece of paper. Then build your model. Place the paper towels under your design.
3. Test your model by pouring water into your larger, elevated tank. Be prepared to clean up any water that leaks out.
4. Evaluate your design. Did the water move from the larger tank to the smaller tank? Did it leak? If so, how could you improve your design?
5. Modify your original design, then repeat steps 3 and 4.