1. Work with a partner. Together, discuss what you want to find out about making a bird nest that can hold 3 weighted eggs.
2. Put 3 marbles into each plastic egg.
3. Draw a design for your bird’s nest. Estimate how many of each item you think you will use. Write it down.
4. Head outside.* Use a plastic bag to collect your items. Make a list of what you gathered.
5. Assemble your bird’s nest using only the items you found. You cannot use glue or tape.
6. Check that your nest is strong enough to support the eggs. Place 3 eggs into the nest. Record what happens using a video recorder or pencil and paper.
*If you can’t go outside, use items provided by your teacher.